Aug 27 2009

Time for a New Phone

As I am growing weary of Sprint and their lack of customer support, and the lack of speed my Blackberry Curve 8330 produces, I am now in search for a new cell phone. I really want an iPhone, but that would involve breaking my contract with Sprint (at a cost) and moving to AT&T. So I have a poll here with two phones from Sprint and the iPhone from AT&T. Help me decide which one to get. Please also comment with opinions on customer service, reception in the Central Florida area, pricing, etc.

If I was to get another phone what kind should I get?

View Results

Loading ... Loading …

7 Responses to Time for a New Phone

1. Stephanie Byrne August 27, 2009 at 5:34 pm

I love AT&T their customer service has been great to me the past 2 years!!! If I had a problem with anything they would always take care of it. Get the iPhone!!! It does EVERYTHING!!!

2. Elizabeth August 27, 2009 at 5:45 pm

iPhone is the only way to go and you know this man!

3. Daniel Smith August 27, 2009 at 5:46 pm

Thanks Sterling, but I’m not Zach Morris.

4. Jenny August 27, 2009 at 6:44 pm

Get an iPhone, its worth it. If my contract with Sprint didn’t end in December i’d have broken it earlier. As it is I’m getting the iPhone for x-mas.

5. Sean Osmond August 29, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Well sir, you know my thoughts for provider but as I am well aware of your experiences, I will offer what I can. The Curve is a generic device that everyone (yes, even t-mobile) offers. It has been a workhorse for every carrier but is rapidly approaching end of life as you can tell by its pricing of $49.99 or less. I would look for are a newer os (GS, Palm Pre, or one of the new HTCs). If speed is a concern, the top three pics are the ones you mentioned. All selling aside, 3G is 3G so don’t fall prey to the marketing. In the Orlando area, Sprint and Verizon have been rated ahead of AT&T in 3rd party tests since the release of the iPhone GS as it literally bogged their network down to a ridiculous point. Apple is by far the leader for ap stuff but Blackberry is adding quickly. Palm is very new to the market but are going to be getting hit with a slew of new aps over the next few months. I think with your use of e-mail and tech tools you should stick with a Blackberry or Palm as I have heard the iKing has some issues unless you crack it, which voids all chances of AT&T or Mr. Jobs helping you out. Additionally, I like the fact that you can warrantee everything but an iPhone. That is my two cents.

6. Matthew October 16, 2009 at 12:24 am

An iPhone 3GS would be one of the worst decisions in response to getting a mobile phone, especially when compared against the Tour and between networks. An unlimited plan on Sprint including minutes, text, data, GPS, TV, and radio is $99 while the comparable plan on AT&T can cost up to $169, with some features not even supported on the iPhone. And that’s just one line, so if you’re on a family plan of these suckers, I’ll compare Family Everything Data plans to AT&T all day long because any configuration will show you saving significant amount of money with Sprint.

For the phone itself, it’s a closed platform riddled with scandal over their application approval process. Blackberry has an entire AppWorld that gets you everything from Shazam to any other program you need. Apps have been offered on that platform for over 10 years, now they are just consolidated. You’ll technically get greater functionality as Google programs like Voice and Latitude enabled maps work natively on the Tour but are “not allowed” on the iPhone. It took AT&T and Apple over 5 years to support voice commands and even MMS (of which they are still having problems with falsifying senders numbers, etc) and the device still will not allow for tethering. Not only that, it is not one of the devices Adobe is considering to give Flash support for. Why? Because Apple can not monetize on their game sales as much with Flash enabled handsets, so just like many other features, you will pay a premium for a device that will restrict you even more. Additional restrictions include device unlocking, of which AT&T will refuse to do if you wish to travel internationally (as they want you paying their premium International Roaming rates) where as the Tour has an unlocked GSM slot to allow for better rates on foreign travel.

So the overall theme of this article is, why pay more for a device that in the long run will only allow you to do less. People feel like they “want” or “need” an iPhone, but that’s only because Apple marketing has made them think they do. People don’t consider it feature for feature and see how that phone still falls short of standards. Yes, the Apple logo on the device is very shiny and enticing, but I don’t want to pay for a paint job, I want to pay for a phone.